Thursday, May 1, 2008

What I think about

I had to write this for a class at school. I like having a measuring stick that I created myself. Accountability. It's harsh, but I like it.

Code of Ethics

  1. Be a faithful steward of myself, the world and all who are in it – act, knowing that everything I do affects the world. Acknowledge my responsibility and assume ownership of the impact I have here.
  2. Respect, embrace, welcome differences. Letter from a Birmingham Jail April 16, 1963. Dr. Martin Luther King “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.” “Appalling silence” is barely tolerant, and, I believe, not enough. My voice is my power to influence change. I believe that whether I am acting, speaking or silent, I am still participating. I must welcome others as I would wish to be welcomed.
  3. Respect, embrace and welcome my mistakes and misfortunes. Admit when I am wrong, make amends if I can, eat my humble pie a-la-mode and help others do the same. Do not fear difficulties, rather, accept the lessons they teach me.
  4. Listen. This means more than being silent, it means quieting my mind. Strive to keep my own thoughts and responses at bay and truly focus on what is being communicated. Remember that voices are not the only sounds I must listen to and strive to hear; silence can also speak. The earth has a voice impossible to describe, but it is rich in wisdom that can only be heard in silence.
  5. Be faithful to provide encouragement. Encourage people– show more faith than I have – people can be energized and influenced by a positive expectation.
  6. Believe in hope and nurture it everywhere - to take away hope is to leave nothing but despair – it kills the soul – there is nothing worse. Hope is the foundation of tenacity, perseverance, and refusing to accept limitations. Hope is the belief in possibilities beyond what I can imagine.

No comments: